Shipping has a major impact on our environment: with exhaust emissions, engine noise and water pollution caused by fuel leaks at the top of the danger list. According to estimates by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the CO2 emissions caused by shipping – not including the substantial amounts of SOx/NOx/PM emissions – account for around 2.2 percent of all man-made CO2 emissions. IMO experts predict that the proportion of CO2 emissions attributable to shipping will double or even treble by 2050.
However, exhaust-gas emissions are not the only problem. The firing noises made by ship engines travel through the water for many kilometres and have a major impact on marine life, especially for marine mammals that use sonar for communication and orientation.
The Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS) has identified engine noise from marine diesel engines as one of the greatest threats to marine fauna. Further threats posed by shipping are intentional and unintentional oil pollution. This is deadly for all marine life, is difficult to remove and leaves traces in marine sediment for many years. Batteries that end up in the water are equally toxic. As an energy storage solution, nanoFlowcell® is environmentally friendly and harmless to health, and suitable for battery-powered electric sports boats, yachts and other craft (e.g. ferries). In such applications, nanoFlowcell® replaces conventional drive batteries. However, nanoFlowcell® technology can also replace the diesel engines used to generate electricity on cruise ships and cargo ships and safely supply all electrical equipment on board with environmentally friendly electricity.
The benefits of nanoFlowcell® technology
- Quiet and powerful electric motors with minimal noise emissions
- The causes of environmental pollution are eliminated – with no fossil fuels or lithium-ion batteries on board, these cannot find their way into the water.
- Long operating life and immunity to deep discharge (overwintering problem for the likes of electric sports boats)
- bi-ION® has a virtually unlimited shelf life; elimination of the diesel bug problem
- Safe to use, high system stability, no emissions harmful to health or the environment
- Direct cost reduction (purchase, operating and maintenance costs) and indirect cost reduction (penalties for reparation of environmental damage)